My favorite time of the year is finally here: football season! Growing up in Texas, I've loved football since I was a kid. That love turned into somewhat of an obsessive passion, and now, if you're ever looking for anyone to "talk football shop" with, I am that person.
While technically the season started last week in Australia when Cal and Hawaii played (Cal ended up winning in a game that was very offense-heavy/light on defense), this weekend is a total free-for-all of crazy good match-ups. In fact, many are saying this is the best opening weekend of college football ever (thank you, college football playoffs, for forcing teams to have tougher early season schedules).
Last night I got to go to the Stanford opener against Kansas State, where Christian McCaffrey continued to prove that he should've won the Heisman last year (at least in my opinion). Baylor also started off with a big win, although they did not play a very tough opponent.
Here are some of the games over the course of the weekend that should make for good matchups:
- Oklahoma (#3) vs. Univ. of Houston (#15) - this one is on now!
- LSU (#5) vs. Wisconsin - starts at 2:30pm CT on ABC
- UCLA (#16) vs. Texas A&M - starts at 2:30pm CT on CBS
- Georgia (#18) vs. UNC (#22) - starts at 4:30pm CT on ESPN
- USC (#20) vs. Alabama (#1) - starts at 7:00pm CT on ABC
- Notre Dame (#10) vs. Texas (GO TEXAS!) - Sunday 9/4 at 6:30pm CT
- Ole Miss (#11) vs. FSU (#4) - Monday 9/5 at 7:00pm CT
There are many other good games on, but these are some of the ones I'll be trying to catch (along with part of the Texas Tech game, which my dad will be at). What games will you be watching/going to this weekend? I'd love to hear! And if you're not already a football fan, I bet I can convince you to at least not hate it - just give it a shot!
Happy College Football Season! (don't worry, we'll talk NFL next week).